Fun Facts About Me
- I can only write with my notebook turned sideways. When I was a kid, I wrote with it turned upside down.
- I write, catch, and eat with my right hand. Everything else – batting, shooting a basket, holding a golf club, etc. is done with my left.
- I can shake my eyeballs in bright light.
- I have a long, long list of foods I don’t like. (I guess this isn’t really a ‘fun’ fact!)
- I am very, very neat. Except when I am not.
- I know the lyrics to about a thousand bad songs from the 1970s, including songs from tv commercials and television shows.
- I have a lot of my writing memorized so that I don’t have to carry my books everywhere.
- I once wrote a book in two weeks and it only needed a little revision.
- The next book I wrote took four years.
- I have only lost at checkers once or twice. I have only won at Chess once.
- I can jump double-dutch.
- Even though I can walk to a Brooklyn Nets game from my house, I’m still a die-hard Knicks fan.
- I love it when it’s quiet and sunny.
- Fall is my favorite season.
- My son was born in the United States but since then, has never spent a birthday in this country. (His birthday is February 19th which is usually Winter Break.)
- I share a birthday with Abraham Lincoln and Judy Blume.
- I laugh at really dumb jokes.
- Something many people don’t know about me:
When I was a toddler, I did a series of advertisements for Alaga Syrup in Ebony Magazine. Even though I was only two, I looked a lot older and the ads that ran often featured me as a school-aged child thinking about Alaga Syrup.
I don’t remember wishing anything about Alaga Syrup. I wasn’t even in school yet. Still, I think of it fondly because it was, technically, my first job.
- There are a few special places I love to write…
Anywhere on the Cape where there are dunes nearby like in this picture:
Here in Brooklyn where I live: (Yes, there really are trees in New York City!)
Sitting on the yellow chair in my office: